Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mmmmmusubi!

Mmmm... Musubi. I love spam musubi. I first had it when my cousin returned from a 1-year hiatus to Hawaii, and I've loved it ever since. Most people cringe at the mention of Spam, but mention it in almost any Filipino household (I'd say 99%... you have the rare ones who join the "dark side" of the vegetarian and vegan movement), and you're sure to make some mouths water.


I like to marinate my spam before frying it for my musubi. I base my marinade on a recipe from the Honolulu Star-Bulletin that I found online a long time ago. It's always changing and always done to taste... and it goes a little something like this:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated/minced ginger
1/8 - 1/4 cup tonkatsu sauce
1/8 - 1/4 cup korean barbecue sauce
1/8 - 1/4 cup brown sugar
* sometimes I add something spicy, too... like Sriracha Hot Sauce

I always adjust it based on what sauce is available at home... and what else I feel like adding at the time.

I made these in celebration of the first surf session I had with my brand new 5'8" Rusty Pirhana, which my husband bought at an AMAZING price at the Mira Mesa Rusty Warehouse. The board is *AMAZING* and fun.


My husband completed the package with some Future Fins that he thought would complement my surfing style (haha... as if I were good enough to have one) and weight... the John Johns! :)


I can't wait to take it out more often.. especially as the weather gets warmer down here.

No comments:

Post a Comment